As you know, the team at Superior Air Quality is passionate about helping you breathe better. One of our number one questions we get is: “How often should we change out our filters?” Our answer: well…..it depends!
If your home has just 1 or 2 people living there, and there are no indoor pets or carpet in the house your filters may last 3 or 4 months, (pleated only last half as long).
Then, what about allergies. If you suffer from mild allergies you may need to change out every 2 months during peak allergy season (or even sooner). One way to know the filter is full of pollen is if you start sneezing or your allergy symptoms increase.
However, if your home has 3 or more people and/or you have a few indoor pets, carpet, a smoker, or you have pretty bad allergies/asthma you should check your filters around 1 or 2 months.
There are some other factors to consider.
- -How old is your home? Older homes may have more issues with dust.
- -How many filters are in your home? Multiple filters or larger ones last longer than a single filter.
- -Where are your filters? If they are in the ceiling or closer to the ground they will collect more heavy dust than ones in the attic.
- -Do you live in a dry dusty area? Dry dusty climates probably mean more dust in your home.
- -What type of filters are you using? Green Screens last longer than pleated because they have 3 zones.
- -What season are you in? Summer & Winter need more frequent filter changes because your unit is running more often.
As you can see the answer to the question “How often should I change out the filter?” varies depending on many factors. When you first start using the Green Screen, we recommend you check your filter every month so you can see how fast the filter is filling up.
Here is a 2-minute video which shows a dirty filter and how you can tell it is ready to change out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3z2o2DIkjM&t=9s
If you have a hard time remembering to change out your filters ask us about our Auto-Ship Program. We keep your sizes on record and send you a filter on your schedule. Visit our website at greenscreenairfilter.com